Thursday, April 28, 2011

You Complete Me

The other day I was on FB and one of my "friends" made the comment and I quote, "I am now off the market, I have found someone that completes me, please respect my relationship". The first thing that popped in my head was, why did you even have to post this in FB for the world to see? Did you do it because your new man wanted you to announce it to the world? Or because you wanted to send the message to some people that may have been interested in you? Whatever the case may be, it's your business and I'm okay with you shouting out to the world.
What I am not okay with is the statement of someone completing you. In the 1996 cult following movie Jerry Maguire, we all thought that was the sweetest thing in the world when Tom Cruise looked at Rene Zellweger and uttered the words, you. complete. me, women swooned and men said, yes..new line! However, really, can someone actually complete you? By saying that they can you are saying that you were never whole in the first place which normally translate into a bit of a needy person.
Think about it, if you complete someone and they truly believe that, that means, to them, you are somewhat responsible for their happiness and unhappiness because they needed you in the first place to feel complete. It's simple transference, from what I know about this particular person (all from her FB post), she has a lot of issues. She is dealing with abandonment issues and so are her children, she had a rough life growing up and I'm sure this man is a welcomed surprise. Hey we all have issues from our past and a few in our present lives, however when we start to depend on someone to fix those problems, well, then we have a problem.
What you should be looking for in a relationship is someone who compliments who you are and vice verse. Yes, your significant other should be able to help you through some obstacles, however, that should not be a requirement. We have to be careful about the things we say out loud, we speak it and it becomes reality. The only person that can complete you, is you, so get to work on finding you and leave the significant other to more important things, like just loving you.
How do you feel about the words "you complete me"? Do you think another person can really complete you? Lets discuss.

No comments:

Post a Comment